Red Cabbage Coleslaw
- 1 small head red cabbage, tough bottom ribs removed, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 2 bulbs fennel, cored and julienned
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 large Jicima, julienned
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil per two cup serving (or egg free nayonaise)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons horseradish or wasabi powder
- Combine the cabbage, fennel, carrots, jicima and onion in a large bowl.
- Douse with the vinegar, season with salt and let sit at least 1 hour. This will soften the cabbage and make it seem almost cooked, but it will still have a great texture.
- Drain the cabbage of excess liquid but still keep it fairly juicy.
- Stir in the olive oil (or nayonaise) and horseradish.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt.
- The result should be a creamy and tart slaw.
I have made substitutions to make the recipe more consistent with what I would do.
My daughter was dnaeiosgd with JDMS an auto-immune disease that attacks the muscles. At age 11 sge couldn’t even lift her arms to comb her own hair. We changed her diet which is similar to Dr. Wahls and now at age 22 she is a dancer in college. On no medication and has had no symptons or signs of the illness in the past 6yrs