Red Cabbage Coleslaw
- 1 small head red cabbage, tough bottom ribs removed, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 2 bulbs fennel, cored and julienned
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 large Jicima, julienned
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil per two cup serving (or egg free nayonaise)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons horseradish or wasabi powder
- Combine the cabbage, fennel, carrots, jicima and onion in a large bowl.
- Douse with the vinegar, season with salt and let sit at least 1 hour. This will soften the cabbage and make it seem almost cooked, but it will still have a great texture.
- Drain the cabbage of excess liquid but still keep it fairly juicy.
- Stir in the olive oil (or nayonaise) and horseradish.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt.
- The result should be a creamy and tart slaw.
I have made substitutions to make the recipe more consistent with what I would do.