The Endocannabinoid System and its impact on autoimmune disease
Wahls Protocol Seminar Sponsor Elixinol connected us with Dr. Philip Blair for an important interview on The Endocannabinoid System and its impact on those with autoimmunity.
The Endocannabinoid System Simplified
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is a series of ligands, receptors, transport molecules, and enzymes present throughout the entire body that acts as a “master regulator” for other systems within the body. In fact, all mammals have an ECS, and humans have evolved with cannabinoids.
● “Relax, eat, sleep, forget and protect. ” 1
● Discovered in 1992
● Not well understood by the medical community
● ECS also regulates immune, mood, and metabolism
1. Russo, EB. “Introduction to the Endocannabinoid System.” PhytecsÆ https://www.phytecs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/IntroductionECS.pdf
2. Russo, EB. Clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD): can this concept explain therapeutic benefits of cannabis in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and other treatment-resistant conditions? Neuro†Endocrinol†Lett†. 2008 Apr;29(2):192-200. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18404144
3. Pacher, P., et al. The Endocannabinoid System as an Emerging Target of Pharmacotherapy. Pharmacological†Reviews September 2006, 58 (3) 389-462; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1124/pr.58.3.2. http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/content/58/3/389
About the author
COL Philip Blair, MD, is a family physician and consultant in disease management. He graduated from West Point in 1972, attended the University of Miami School of Medicine, trained as an Army family physician and served as a combat physician in the first Gulf War. After medical assignments on three continents and 29 years in uniform, he retired from the Army and has since been consulting on complex disease management since 2000 with patients around the globe.
Since 2013, Dr. Blair has been studying, treating and lecturing about the body’s natural endocannabinoid system (ECS), including pre-clinical trials with PTSD sufferers. ECS disorders appear to be the root cause of many chronic medical conditions. Colonel Blair, MD serves as Medical Director of Pro Health Advisor, Inc., and Elixinol.
His current goal is to enhance health and wellbeing by restoring his patient’s ECS through diet, exercise, appropriate medications and non-psychoactive herbs, including hemp.
Dr. Blair is a popular speaker and guest for numerous conferences and podcasts. Since 2016, he has presented to audiences ranging in size from 15 to 500.